Marnie Christine Cody, Attorney
Marnie Christine Cody received her B.A. from the University of Southern California in 1986, and her J.D. from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, in 1989.
Cody's practice centers on the outdoor advertising industry and business and real estate matters, including transactions and litigation, plaintiff and defense, and trial and appellate work.
Cody has worked in the outdoor advertising area since 1990. She is very knowledgeable about the California Outdoor Advertising Act. Ms. Cody's legal experience includes litigation and client counseling. She has represented outdoor advertising companies and owners of real property in a variety of matters, including eminent domain and inverse condemnation proceedings, local and state land use and construction entitlements, general real estate and personal property transactions (asset purchase agreements, leases, grant of easement), partnership agreements, LLC operating agreements, and a wide variety of contractual disputes.
She has represented parties in all aspects of litigation at both trial and appellate levels, as well as local and state administrative appeals, mediation and arbitration. She has negotiated with a variety of government agencies, including cities, counties, community redevelopment agencies, school districts, and AQMD.
Some of Ms. Cody's significant accomplishments include:
- Securing a multi-million dollar billboard relocation settlement for an outdoor advertising company in inverse condemnation proceeding.
- Negotiating mitigation measures undertaken by Caltrans and SGE to eliminate detrimental impacts of a state construction project on A.M. radio towers and securing full compensation settlement for property owner.
- Securing full demand in Level II Appeal of compensation awarded by Los Angeles World Airports in acquiring multi-family residential property.
- Co-formulating with Richard Hamlin successful strategy to avoid condemnation of a multi-million dollar business and property.
- Securing numerous favorable settlements in lawsuits involving quiet title to real property, breach of lease, and commercial contracts.
- Drafting City of Lynwood Sign Ordinance (2006).
- Drafting amendments to the California Outdoor Advertising Act, Business and Professions Code, §5443 (2003).
- A winning record of bench trials and attorney's fee awards.