Marnie Cody graduated from USC with a degree in psychology. She received her JD from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles. Serving first as a student law clerk in 1988 to the boutique law firm then known as Stall & Hamlin, Marnie has practiced alongside Hamlin | Cody partner, Richard Hamlin.
She has served as a Judge pro tem for the Los Angeles Superior Court. Marnie is the past president and vice president of Friends of Overland and the Pali Quarterback Club, in addition to past vice president of the Palisades High School Booster Club and Board Secretary of the Pacific Palisades Lacrosse Association, each non-profits dedicated to public school education and athletics. Most recently, Marnie served as President of the USC Alpha Gamma Delta Parent Club and 2019 Parliamentarian of the Intersorority Parent Council of the University of Southern California. Marnie is a volunteer reader participating in the Magic of Reading program at Overland Avenue Elementary School and a volunteer catechist with Saint Paul the Apostle Catholic Community in West Los Angeles.
Her practice centers on outdoor advertising, business and real estate matters, as well as probate and estate planning for small and midsized estates. Super Lawyers® has selected Marnie as a Top Rated Attorney in practice areas including estate planning, probate and real estate and naming her in its list of selected attorneys featured inSuper Lawyers Magazine (2016-Present).
Marnie’s experience in the outdoor advertising field dates back to 1990. She has handled cases opposite the California Department of Transportation and regularly consults with clients on matters involving the California Outdoor Advertising Act and Code of Regulations. In 2010, Marnie was a co-presenter at the International Right of Way Association, Valuation Seminar. She has represented outdoor advertising companies, real estate developers and land owners in a variety of cases, including municipal land use violations, eminent domain and inverse condemnation proceedings, local and state land use and construction entitlements, general real estate and personal property transactions, asset purchases, leases, grant of easement, partnership and LLC operating agreements and a host of contractual disputes.
Marnie has handled all aspects of litigation, tried cases in California Superior Court and argued before the California Second District Court of Appeal. She has likewise appeared at various local and state administrative appeals, mediations and arbitrations, and effectively negotiated with a variety of parties in the private sector as well as public agencies, such as AQMD, LAUSD and numerous California cities, counties and community redevelopment agencies.
Some of her significant accomplishments include:
- Securing a multi-million dollar billboard relocation settlement for an outdoor advertising company in inverse condemnation proceeding.
- Negotiating mitigation measures undertaken by Caltrans and SGE to eliminate detrimental impacts of a state construction project on A.M. radio towers and securing full compensation settlement for property owner.
- Securing full demand in Level II Appeal of compensation awarded by Los Angeles World Airports in acquiring multi-family residential property.
- Co-formulating with Richard Hamlin successful strategy to avoid condemnation of a multi-million dollar business and property.
- Securing numerous favorable settlements in lawsuits involving quiet title to real property, breach of lease, and commercial contracts.
- Drafting City of Lynwood Sign Ordinance (2006).
- Drafting amendments to the California Outdoor Advertising Act, Business and Professions Code, §5443 (2003).
- A winning record of bench trials and attorney’s fee awards.
- Negotiating and documenting lucrative Outdoor Advertising Leases and Management Agreements on properites located in some of Los Angeles’ most prominent and high profile areas, including the Sunset Strip.